Albert Einstein said that Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results..
Some things to contemplate:
What do we currently do about child offenders?
1. As a society we blame the child's Mother (very rarely hear any comments about their Father's accountability).
2. We discuss the child's case without them present and make decisions without their input.
3. We keep them in the watchhouse if we cannot contact a parent.
4. We get them to plead guilty which allows us to sentence them without a trial.
What we dont do;
1. We don't provide an adult advocate while we question them.
2. We offer no counseling or healing plan.
3. We offer no treatment for addictions
4. We expect them to do the "right" thing because we say they have to.
These are some questions I would like to see answered.
Why is incarceration even an option for non violent child offenses?
Why is there not an appropriate facility for children to be held briefly in custody? (12 year olds and younger are being held in the watchhouse overnight).
Why is the closest youth detention facility 650klms away?
Why dont we stop blaming parents and start being accountable as a community?
If parents are to be accountable for the behaviour of their children then shouldn't a society be accountable for the behaviour of a parent?